Sunday, September 14, 2008

Far From Home

“For our citizenship is in heaven from which we eagerly await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.” - Phil 3:20 NASB


I remember the first time I visited a foreign country. The landscape, people, and culture captured my attention. While I enjoyed my stay, however, I knew I did not belong. My skin color, language and food preferences differed from the natives. Clearly, I was a visitor.

So too I often feel out of place in this world. I want love, but often find indifference. I long for perfect relationships, but have constant conflicts. I yearn for life, but see death. While sorrows usually only bring me pain, I find they also give me hope. They serve as tour guides pointing out the broken landscape, the wounded people, and the distorted culture of earth, ever reminding me of my absence from home.

As various problems arise, from spilt milk to loss of a job to the death of a loved one, I’m learning to understand the language they speak. I hear the whisper of hope. We can use our trials to remind us to look toward Christ’s return, to living in harmony with each other, and to enjoying life forever in the presence of our heavenly Father.

No comments: