Saturday, September 13, 2008

Unfulfilled Promises

All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own (Heb 11:13-14).

I love, hate and need this passage. It reminds me that we don’t necessarily see the results of God's promises this side of heaven. I find this truth annoying. I want the promises today. Not tomorrow, not in twenty years. Now. Typically, I have read this text as encouragement to look towards Christ’s return when He will make all things new. Today, my lens gets more focused. I see that my hope includes a freedom from this fleshly body; that is, Christ will free me of the sin that hurts, distracts, and kills. I tire of the Christian struggle between godliness and selfishness. I weary of the conflict between knowing how I ought to live and the way I live. Instead of having a heart that loves God, I have a heart bent on self that alienates and mars relationships.

The promise of restoration and redemption will remain unfulfilled on earth. There's hope in that for me, one who continues to give in to the flesh, but who longs for more, who longs to love as her Savior. And perhaps the longing transforms, for hope itself has a way of healing. So today, I press on towards His righteousness, knowing that my healing will fully take place in a much better world:

And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them (Heb 11:15-16).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. This was good stuff!