Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Give Me Happiness, er, I Mean Joy

Often times I confuse happiness with joy. I’ve heard the differences between the two emotional experiences from pastors and teachers, but I still find it difficult to alter my desires. I want happiness more than I want joy. See, happiness tends to be based on our circumstances, whereas, joy occurs in spite of our surroundings. Most days, I want peace in my world, not just peace in my heart.

But I must face reality. God assures us we will struggle while on earth. I cannot trust then that I will find happiness. Perhaps there is more to joy than I realize.

Paul, who wrote much of the New Testament, was a man well acquainted with grief and with joy. He had a sense of peace, contentment, well-being that sustained him more than his circumstances rattled him. Daily Paul faced trials such as beatings, imprisonments, hunger, poverty, shipwrecks. Yet he had peace. He had hope. He had assurance.

In his letter to the Philippians he shines the light on his pathway to joy. He writes, “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me” (4:13). His source of contentment? His relationship with Jesus.

Many of us have experienced relationships that gave us strength to endure struggles. Perhaps a close friend, parent, mentor, coach, spouse. Paul had the relationship of all relationships. He knew intimately the Son of God.

Knowing Jesus surpasses the experience we have with our closest connections on earth. In making Him our travel guide, spending time with Him in His Word and in prayer, relying on the mystery of His Spirit in us, we too can have enduring joy through any and all trials.

James, the half-brother of Jesus, says, “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials; knowing the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing” (1:2-3). In all trials then we can experience this peace and joy that surpasses knowledge.

Life brings pain. Christ brings joy. We receive it as we learn to walk through life clinging to His hand.

Thought for the day: What are some circumstances in your life that have you down? How can you enter into the presence of Christ with your struggles?

No comments: