Sunday, October 5, 2008

Prayer of Repentance

O Lord, I repent of my ways, of how I used my body this day.

I gave my eyes to sights of stumbling.
I watched sitcoms full of sexual innuendos,
Actions full of guns and bombs, blood and death,
Dramas full of murder, rape and injustice.
Instead of light, I perused darkness.

I gave my ears to worthless sounds.
I turned up the music of this world,
Heeded the advice of the deceiver,
Attended to the pleas of the old me.
Instead of truth, I listened to lies.

I gave my lips to rotten words.
I berated, degraded, castigated
Men and women made in Your image.
Instead of hope, I spoke ruin.

O Lord, I repent of my ways, of how I used my body this day.

I gave my hands to creating a shelter from reality.
I made a house without mirrors, windows, or doors—
Safe from myself, my neighbor, and my God;
No evidence of depravity,
Free of social responsibility,
Ignoring God-dependency.
Instead of Your Church, I built protective walls.

I gave my feet to a gait of comfort and ease.
I fled the rugged streets of the inner-city.
Stepping over the homeless man,
Stepping on the prostitute,
Stepping by the dirty children,
I ran to the suburbs of safety, beauty, prosperity.
Instead of You, I followed the American Dream.

O Lord, I repent of my ways, of how I used my body this day.

I gave my heart to loving idols.
I exchanged Your glory
For humanity’s praise,
For pleasure over pain,
For freedom to choose my own way.
Instead of rhythms of devotion, my heart beat for other lovers.

O Lord, I repent of such ways, of how I used my body this day.

No comments: